Greg's Blog

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jan 10th 2006 appt.

Did not find out much new info on this visit.
I had been having a hell of a time from Friday the 5th up to the point of the appointment with increased pain in the evenings. To address this they suggested doing a procedure to kill or block the nerve tissue in the pancreas and lymph node. There are 2 ways of doing it, one is by GI surgeon with a scope down the throat and into the stomach then drill over to the pancreas, the other way is by radiology surgeon and is done through the back with a needle through to the pancreas.
My other option is to try a pain medication administered by patch like a nicotine patch.
Guess which one I chose to try first.
They were actually surprised by my response. Why would I want to stay off the operating table? I must be a big sissy. So I guess I am going to try the patch.

We did find out that MUSC is going to participate in the study of the new drug that targets pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. It is called Radiant-001 at this point. Still do not know the details on how the drug is administered or the schedule or anything like that. But they did say that there should be no hair loss or effects like that. There are 2 other places already running the study so I am going to try to find out more about how it all works. Moffit or Mofitt is one place, but I don’t know yet where or what that is. I have been approved for it by the hospital, and they will handle all the paperwork and stuff like that for the study. I knew I would be published someday, just didn’t think it would be as "patient #4 reports genital itching, and uncontrollable flatulence".

One other thing to note is that my Dr. is retiring at the end of February. He did not tell me this; I had to find out by seeing the receptionist to make my next appointment. Kind of weird huh?
Anyway they do not know who the replacement will be at this time. There are 2 doctors they are looking at, one form MD Anderson in Houston, the other from Yale.
My next appointment is Jan 24th. they should know who the new Dr. is at that point.

I have not slept a full night since before last Thursday, so I am trying to stay home from work today and sleep or at least rest. I hope that they won’t have to call me too much today.

Guess that is all for this time. We will get further details in 2 weeks when I go back to report on how the patch is doing. Maybe I will start smoking so I can wear a patch on both shoulders to balance myself out. Would not want to develop a limp.

2 Comments:

  • Dear Greg,
    I am so glad that you have updated your BLOG. I wonder each day when I am praying for you, what is going on. I certainly hope that you will find relief from your patch...don't go for the nicotine patch, I think lopsided is in this year.

    You are an amazing young man, you seem to find humor in so much of this ordeal. By the way, my husband agreed with your parting comments about cancer in your last BLOG. He has the same opinion.

    Hang in there Greg. I will be praying specifically that they will help you control your pain so you can get some rest.

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:59 PM  

  • Dear Greg,
    Just a reminder...your in my thoughts, on my heart and in my prapers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home