Greg's Blog

Friday, December 08, 2006

CT scan results December

Hey everybody,
This posting is about 24 hours late, but I think you will understand why...
As most of you know I had a CT scan done Monday to see how things are doing.
Wednesday I had a visit with my Oncologist and got the results.
They said that all the tumors were progressing, (that's bad). Especially the Lymph Node tumor.
So that one had rapid growth and the others in the Liver and the one on the Pancreas had growth as well but not as quick and the Lymph Node one.
So as you might know the Lymphatic system is the regulator for about every chemical balance you have in your body. If this gets into the Lymphatic system and start causing havoc there will be hell to pay.
We decided to stop the existing chemo medicine regiment (Xeloda), since it obviously has lost its ability to maintain my status and it causes nasty side effects, and generally makes me sick.

As for what to do next, there is an experimental medicine that is going through clinical trial at a few hospitals around the country. It is in the negotiation stages at MUSC to get approved for testing. If they get approved to run the trial there it will probably start at the end of January. The good thing about this medicine is that it is very specific to my original conditions. It targets pancreatic cancer and is specifically designed for my type of tumor which is nueroendocrine.
The thing I don't know is if it will do anything for the Liver growths or the Lymph Node growth. I was too out of it when we were discussing it to think to ask. It probably will handle those as well since they are higher priority and the guys seemed to think the new medicine was certainly the thing to do.

I am off of all Chemo medicine until the trial starts or we try some other medicine type. If MUSC cannot get the trial for this medicine, I can go to Tampa, FL and get in on the trial there.
It is also being run in Houston, TX and Boston, MA.

I was of course a little disturbed by the news, but it was not unexpected. I had not really been feeling that great and kind of knew something was up. I should slowly get worse and require more pain medicine until I have a good turn because of medicine working or the next surgery, which ever comes first.

I quickly turned sadness to anger and that is the stage I am in now. I will try to use the anger as fuel to fight and stay strong.
Not such a great birthday surprise and a fine way to start off the Christmas season to put me in that holiday spirit.

I do have some good news, I got my hot tub hooked up finally and it is a miracle cure. Fantastic for temporary relief. It makes me feel better when I have chest and stomach pains.
Thanks to all the hard work by my great brother in law Jeff Campbell. He is the hero of the hot tub breaker electrical work.

Love to all and a big F.U. to cancer.
Greg

6 Comments:

  • My Dear Friend,
    This is Sindy, Genes daughter. First let me express my sincerest thanks for the thoughts and love you shared when I lost my beloved son in August.
    I cannot understand the suffering you are going through. I do know that when times of trouble are so bad that we need to believe in HOPE , Hope being Jesus our Savior. With that focus we can accept whatever pain, trials come before us because Christ loved us so much He promised us a better life in eternity and that is what I, what We have to look forward to.
    Since my sons death I have learned about faith and hope so much. I no longer suffer pain of losing my son because now I rejoice for I know that with Faith in Christ I will be with my son again and he along with me will be healthy.
    Greg I will continue to lift you up to God in prayer.
    LITTLE TALK WITH JESUS
    Just a little talk with Jesus
    Truly soothes a weary soul
    Cheering up a countenance
    When one faints beneath the load.
    When a hearts filled with sorrow
    And eyes grow dim with tears,
    Just a needed little talk with Jesus
    Removes all doubt and fears.
    Though at times the way is dreary
    Walking seems rough and slow,
    But just a little talk with Jesus
    Refreshes and thrills the soul.
    He listens to the pleas of woe
    Pleading your cause before the Father
    Assuring He is with you always
    He will never leave you alone.
    He says "I truly love you"
    That's why He gave it all on the cross
    Paying the ransom for the soul,
    His love will make one whole.
    He has gone to prepare a mansion
    In the Father's perfect dwelling place
    Soon to daily walk and talk with Him
    And live forever in His grace.
    So waiting and hoping a little longer
    For His return of time appointed.
    And revel in the knowledge
    That this promised hope is mine.

    ~Malta JUL 2006~

    my email is r4j2c@neb.rr.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 PM  

  • Hello Greg,

    My name is Deb Grant, (Stella calles me 'Pixie face"?!) and my husband is Don. We are from Tryon and Gene and Stella are very dear and close friends of ours. We regularly inquire about your status and faithfully pray for you, your wife and family. Our prayer for you is for comfort, peace of mind and healing as The Lord blesses. I have seen how a family aches for their loved ones to be whole. Greg, you are very loved and very prayed for. May these words bring you some comfort in such an uncertain situation.

    With warmest regards and great prayer,

    Deb and Don Grant

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:30 PM  

  • Hey there little onion power!!! Definately not the news anyone wanted to hear, but you know what, this exerimental drug has your name all over it!!! I am so excited that it is available and really hope that Charlestown will get on the stick and offer it to you. If they don't, your other options are good too. Who wouldn't mind going to Tampa and guess what, Houston's less than 4 hours away from us, so guess which location gets my vote???!!! I can be there with you every step of the way. Anyway little buddy, you know how much you mean to sooooooooooo many people and that prayers are just flooding Jesus to ease yur pain. Get good use of that hot tub as I know it will provide you with great relief and relaxation. Everyone here sends well wishes and their love. Talk to you soon & hang in there. Much love, Smelly Shelly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 PM  

  • hey greg! you are on my mind all the time and i just want to let you know that i'm thinking about you! miss you tons and tons! love, emilee forbes

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 PM  

  • Hi Greg,

    Been a while since I have pestered you. Auntie Phyl here.

    Just to remind you that you are thought of so often and that I continue to pray for you.

    Christmas is just around the corner and Uncle Ron and I are enjoying our little wooden Christmas tree that two of our granddaughters made for us. It is a painted little wooden tree shape with painted heart, stars and angel shapes with tiny lights peeking out from the spaces around them. It makes this old lady smile. I hope you find lots to smile about too!

    Merry Christmas!

    Love and prayers,

    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

  • Hi Greg,

    You probably don't remember me, but I am Uncle Jerry's daughter Trudi....I just wanted to let you know you are in our prayers. I think the blog is great for you and everyone who reads it. Keep up the fight and don't stop praying.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home