Greg's Blog

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

End of 3rd dose

Monday was the end of my third round of Chemo pills. It was a little harder on my system this time than it had been during the second dose. Fatigue was the worst effect.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I just could not get enough sleep. I would only wake up for short periods of time and have to go to sleep again.
Monday I went to work but ended up leaving early.
Well today I had my Drs. Appointment and found out why I had been so tired.
I have a new assistant Dr. that I saw for the first time today. He came in and introduced himself and told me that my blood work had come back from the lab and that I was below anemic level and we may need to do a blood transfusion.
Wait a minute there cowboy, what are you talking about. He said my blood count was 9.9 (whatever that means) and normally a 10.0 would be considered anemic level and that a blood transfusion might be needed. So I said lets not hook up the old IV yet, come back in here with the other Dr. and lets see what we need to do.
10 mins later my regular guy, Dr. Brecia come in and said that my blood was very weak and that it is totally due to the medicine that I am taking. There is no need for a transfusion as my blood count will go up now that I am off the pills. We decided to take 2 and ½ weeks off between doses this time to let my body recover.
He told me that the fatigue I was feeling was due to the low blood count, and that with the levels I had, they were surprised I had enough energy to even make it into their office, much less go to work. So it certainly made sense why I was so tired the prior days when I was still on the medicine. At this point I had been off for 48 hours, so my blood has had that long to recuperate when they got the reading of 9.9.
So after setting the appointment for next time and getting my dosage instructions I went back to work for the rest of the day despite their surprise at my ability to be able to walk. I guess your body just gets used to dealing with challenges and takes it as part of normal operation after a while.
Anyway I will have the next appointment 6 weeks from now.
That is all the news I have, doing fairly well except for little pockets of time when it hits me like a hammer. But overall my quality of life is much better than it was 3 or 4 months ago.
Love to all,
Greg

8 Comments:

  • As always, thank you so much for taking the time to share you news with us. Sometimes, I have to sit on my hands and tape my mouth, nose, ears....I think you get the idea.. HA HA. Thanks again, We love you!!! Love to Cindy, Ricky, Lucy and Amber!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 PM  

  • Hi Greg,
    Am so happy to see that you are moving forward with your healing.

    I am a friend of your Mom's and I just wanted to let you know that you are prayed for daily. What an amazing young man you are and what amazing things God is doing with you. Be good to yourself.

    Phyllis

    PS Your Mom told me you have a wonderful sense of humor. She is so right. Watch out for those cowboys ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 PM  

  • Dear Greg,
    Love and prayers from Auntie Phyl

    AKA Mom's friend Phyllis

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 PM  

  • Above note sent 7/9

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 PM  

  • Greg,

    Just to let you know that you are in my prayers most every day.

    May God's hand of healing cover you and bring you back to health and joy.

    Love,
    Auntie Phyl
    Mom's friend
    7/16

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:23 PM  

  • Dear Greg,
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    With love, blessings and prayers.

    Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • Dear Greg,
    Still praying.

    With love, prayers for blessings and healing.

    Phyl

    7-29-06

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 PM  

  • Dear Greg,
    Your Mom told me that you have started your next round of chemo and that it takes the starch right out of you. I just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers...most days and often several times a day. I will look forward to what God has planned for you and the return of your updates and great sense of humor.

    With love and prayers for healing.

    Auntie Phyl

    8-02-06

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home