Greg's Blog

Friday, May 05, 2006

Oral Chemo Medicine Chapter 2

Have not updated in a while so I am doing several in a batch, if you have not read previous postings please stop now and look at those first. Thanks.

When I filled the prescription for Xeloda (Chemo medicine 1) I had to leave the other Chemo medicine, called Temodar (Chemo medicine 2), to be filled as they did not have it in stock. Several days later I went back to pick it up. If you thought you had sticker shock from the Xeloda prescription price at $927 for 14 days worth, wait till you hear this one.

Temodar (which must be an Indian word for me-fuckum-money-outta-white-man) in the world of free market pharmaceuticals in the 21st century, is more expensive than diamonds. Want to see what $177.73 looks like to a pharmaceutical company?


That’s right, 1 little white capsule. I have to take 3 of these a day starting on day 10 of Oral Medicine #1, continuing for 5 days. So if you are keeping up with the math, you have figured out that 1 day’s dosage costs $533.20. Total retail price of a 5 day regimen is a whopping $2,666.00. Now for some reason the insurance gave me a break on this one and I only had to pay $20. Remember I had to pay $40 for the cheaper one.


So I am out 60 bucks for 14 days worth of pills, which seems like a lot to me. But the insurance really got it up the whazoo for the remaining $3,533. Gee, I wonder why insurance rates are so high these days?

And for those of you really paying attention, the pill intake meter is up to 25 pills a day when I feel good.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Greg,
    Its amazing how much health care is no wonder i dont attempt to see doctor. i have no insurance and figure if i get sick then i have to trust in the Lord to heal me.
    I pray you are in good spirits. You are a wonderful person.
    I was hoping to use HTML as to share some graphics with you.
    r4j2c@neb.rr.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:29 PM  

  • WOW, Unbelievable 25 pills!!!! UGH!!!You are right about no appetite, I wouldn't be hungry either if I had to take that many pills.
    I really appreciate the time you are putting into your blog! It's really great to be able to keep up with you! I don't want to both you with calls so this is just GREAT!
    Just a suggestion, Can you include the date when you make a new entry? I get confussed easily! HAHA
    LUV YA BRO!

    STAY TUFF!
    T-SUE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home