Greg's Blog

Friday, May 05, 2006

Welcome to Oral Chemo Medicine!

It’s been a while since I have updated, I know.
Anyway here is some info…

I started on the Chemo pills Thursday 4-27. We have opted to try this route first rather than go intravenously, as the side effects are supposed to not be as bad with the oral version, and quite frankly seeing the intravenous stuff hooked up to people in the cancer center here, it just plain old freaks me out.

I am taking a medicine called Xeloda (for which there is no generic equivalent of course) for 14 days. When I went to get the prescription filled it took 3 pharmacies to even figure out what it was. So I was relieved when the third stop actually knew what it was and had it in stock.

So I get the medicine filled and go to checkout, they tell me it is $40, I am used to only paying $10 or $20 with my insurance so I ask if they filled it with the generic version and the girl tells me that the actual price is $927 for the prescription. After that I was not too pissed off at the $40 premium medicine price. Keep in mind this is only for a 14 day regimen, which figures out to $66.21 per day, retail. How ridiculous is that?

Just for fun a co-worker and I figured out how many pills I was taking on a daily basis. With the addition of these Chemo pills it is 22 pills a day assuming I do not have to take anything extra for actually feeling bad or any over the counter medicine.

No wonder I do not have any appetite! I am full of pills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home