Greg's Blog

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Slight Delay

Hey everyone,
Guess what?
I got a call from Dr. O'Brien today and he said they misread the last CT results and actually all my tumors shrank by 50% and there were no new growths like previously reported!!!!
You do know what today's date is though right?
April fools. I got no phone call, but wouldn't that be a nice one to get.
In my dreams.

In reality here is what is going on. I tried to call to schedule a drain of my stomach today but the Oncology nurse Tess, which is the only person in the world that knows how to do that procedure has her pager off today for some reason. I really need a drain bad, I am having to sleep in a complete sitting up position. I am bursting.
In the last couple weeks here is what has been happening with the fluid drains. On Wednesday last week I had 4.5 liters taken out. The previous Friday (5 days prior) I had 4.5 done as well, we had more to drain then, but they ran out of vacuum bottles in the cancer center. That proceeding Monday I had another 4 liters taken out. So in a 9 day period we drained a whopping 13 liters. That is 6 and 1/2, 2 liters bottles of Pepsi. Absolutely mind blowing to me that this much excess fluid could accumulate in a person.
I have to be sitting on at least 5 liters right now, but they will only take 4.5 out, if you take more they say your system is shocked too much any your electrolytes and potassium levels go crazy and you have to be admitted and have an IV drip done for 24 hours. So we always stop at 4.5 liters as a max. I can go back a few days later if needed.
Having this done so frequently makes the port that I had put in my stomach an absolute necessity. It used to take me about 3 days to recover from a drain when it was done through the radiology department. Now I am just woozy for the first day, and then it is fine pretty much after that. I have had no other crazy reactions like I did that one time when I thought I was going to die.
In the next 48 hours I have to get drained or I am going to be in some serious trouble. I hope I can get ahold of Tess tomorrow. They are normally really good about fitting me in on short notice.

The title of today's posting is "Slight Delay". We are delaying the next Chemo round a week. The last time I was in their office, (Wednesday last week during the drain) they looked at me and said there was no way I would be ready for Chemo this coming Monday like we had scheduled. So now it is going to be one more week off. Which is great. I have had a real hard time recovering from this last round of Chemo. I feel very tired still. I worked 3 and 1/2 hours on Monday and it totally wiped me out. I had to come home and sleep from 4 until 9 that night. Then I ate dinner and went back to sleep until 11 AM Tuesday morning. Still very weak, and feel like each month I get weaker and weaker. I would love to take about 3 months off of Chemo, but the growth was so rapid this last time we took time off, and the fact that even on Chemo I had new growth and cancer spread to the Spleen, I cannot stop taking the poison.

That brings you up to date.
I hope everyone has a great week, and enjoys this beginning of spring weather.
I am going to try to get in the hot tub several times this week while the weather is warm.
Love to all.
Greg

11 Comments:

  • Greg, you had me on the April Fools thingy. There needs to be a way for you to handle the fluid yourself - don't know why that is not possible.

    Spring has sprung here too - the yard is an array of gorgeous color.

    See you in a few, I love you, Mom

    By Blogger Stella, at 9:47 AM  

  • Greg:
    I have to say, you really had me going!! My heart was jumping with joy!!! Reality - DAMN! This fluid is unbelieveable. At least they are now able to take more than I think you mentioned previously. Didn't you say the max before was 3 or 3.5? Somehow, someway, there has to be another person that will be trained to work with you on this. Surely other patients have the fluid issues too - how do they deal with it?
    I hope the delay in your treatment will allow you to rebuild your strength. So happy you are able to sleep. Funny how our body tries to recharge through sleep. I pray that yours is in a good charge mode.
    Thank you again for the update.
    Love you lots and miss you!!!
    Tammy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 AM  

  • Dear Greg,
    4/6 You had this old lady lifting her hands in praise
    ...then I realized the date of your entry. Sooo, I lifted a prayer of thanks for your fantastic sense of humor, your update and asked Him to cover you with His healing blessings of body, mind and soul.

    I am looking out the window of my North Carolina home and loving the open rolling landscape of the beautiful valley I live in; surrounded by mountains. Everything is coming to life; the variations of green against the clouid laden sky are a real joy to my eyes and bring to mind the words of the hymn "How Great Thou Art".

    Hug your Mom for me.

    Love and prayers,

    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

  • Greg and Cindy,
    Glad your hospital stay for fever was a short one! Keep your wonderful sense of humor, humor is healing.

    You both are in our prayers daily.
    Blessings,
    Pastor Joel and Cindi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

  • You're an awful tease!! LOL. Do you still do your church lady impression?

    Thinking about you guys a lot. Glad you had fun on your cruise--makes a difference to get away from the everyday stuff doesn't it?

    If you need a lift--I have to recommend my son's favorite site: http://icanhascheezburger.com/ (mispelling intentional)--goofy but funny!

    ---Nicole Stoner (one of the twins)

    By Blogger ~ nicole, at 8:09 PM  

  • Hi Greg,

    Just cannot believe how there is only one nurse who can do the draining procedure! Sounds like it was a good move to delay the next round of chemo. Hope you recovered some strength.

    BIG, BIG hugs to you and Cindy.

    Love,
    Chris and Kristin

    By Blogger Kristin and Chris, at 8:31 PM  

  • Hi Greg,
    Stopping by to check on you.

    Taxes are in; we are getting a "little" back. Money that has already been taxes numerous times, so we can have the privilege of being taxed again. Ooops, bad attitude.

    I hope you are enjoying the blue skys and puffy clouds at your end of town.

    Love and prayers,

    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 AM  

  • Greg,
    4/22 -- I hear you finally got an antibiotic for your fever and that it has kicked in and that you're having a better week. Thank goodness for that! Find some time to really relax- read a book chapter,find some good jokes online, do Sodoku, etc.Extra time in the hot tub is another suggestion. Anyway, treat yourself- I'd say YOU REALLY DESERVE IT MANY TIMES OVER!!!
    Love you,
    Ellen and Larry--DE MOM & DAD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 PM  

  • Hi Greg,
    Well my Dad and his wife, Jane, just left after 5 days with us. My Dad is 87 and wearing out...sure hope he sees and accepts Christ's love before it is too late.

    Just stopped by to check on you and let you know that you were thought of and prayed for even while they were here. That was a God thing. My Dad is like Archie Bunker (for real) and wears me out. Ooops, another negative.

    Got to get. Have a blessed day.

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 AM  

  • Hi Greg,

    Just the Roscoe's stopping in to say hello. Thinking about you lots and hope this week is going okay. Get in the hot tub as much as possible!

    Love,
    Kristin and Chris

    By Blogger Kristin and Chris, at 7:22 PM  

  • 5/5
    Hi Greg,
    Just got back from Michigan and thought I would stop in and check on you.

    The trip took us 12 hours...not only are we getting slower with age, but I think the car is too.

    The trip was specifically to be there for one of our granddaughter's first communion.

    Best part of the trip; 12 hours in the car with my husband, seeing most of our 6 kids and some of our 15 grandchildren.

    Have to unpack and start the washer.

    Have a blessed day. Love and prayers, Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home