Greg's Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Nov 2007 Recovery

Starting my recovery week here after the latest round of Chemo. This one was a real bear.

I hope the recovery will not be as brutal as the treatment week was. The swelling is still the immediate problem. Causing severe pains when I move or try to lay on my side, depending on how full of water I am at the time.


Last night I really juiced up the water pills I was taking to try to get some relief, and am glad to say I lost 4 pounds of water weight from the previous day. This of course comes at a price, which is no sleep. I was up every hour about exactly on the hour having to pee. Also I do not know what effects doubling the dosage of pills has on my system, like the kidneys and so on, but at that point last night I did not care, I had to do something.


Went to the hospital this morning at 8 AM to get my white blood cell booster shot so I don't get in that trouble like I did last time with the low immunity and so on.


The Dr. or course did not order this, I had to ask about it. Then found out he was on vacation and I could not get the orders made anyway. So I plead my case to one of the day treatment nurses, who are great by the way, and she called another Dr. and called in a favor to have me be able to get this shot before I got sick rather than after, which is how it always seems to go.
So hopefully that will help during the recovery process.



I have kind of a funny new thing that members of the family will appreciate. They are all familiar with a "Peggy Special" . It is my favorite sandwich. My grandmother used to make them for all us kids, and her name was Peggy, thus the Peggy special.


It is really pretty simple, it is a scrambled egg and cheese sandwich on cold white bread with mayo. But she used to make them with a little Crisco on this griddle she always cooked on. Anyway they hold a special place in all our hearts.


I have a concoction that I now deem the "Greggy Special".
It is not quite as mouth watering as hers and performs a very different function.

The "Greggy Special" is:
1 chewable Pepto Bismol tablet,
1 chewable Gas-Ex tablet,
1 Tums,
1 Rolaids,
and to top it off an Imodium AD.

This will pretty much cover what ails you in the gut, at least for the time being. I have these prepackaged up and ready to take at a moments notice. Give it a shot sometime if you really need some stomach relief.
That is about all I have for you for now.
Be good to one another and let everyone you love, know about it.
Greg

9 Comments:

  • Hi A#1 Son,
    So glad the chemo is over for now. Greggy Special doesn't sound quite as tempting as the Peggy Special is and always will be, but I guess if that is what you need, and it works - go for it. Appreciate your efforts in keeping everyone updated. Glad you were able to get the WBC shot you so badly needed. Now I pray this week will be way way way better than the previous one.
    Love you loads and loads, Mom

    By Blogger Stella, at 3:57 PM  

  • Hey little buddy! So glad to hear good news that your nursing staff actually called in a favor for you! It's about time. Anyway, hope that booster prevents any sickness! Greggy special huh? Love the name, but I, like you, will have to be hurting pretty bad to give it a try. (no offense). I hope you have a really good week and get your strength back! Look forward to hearing from you again soon. Love ya, Michelle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 PM  

  • Hey Greg: I mpray that all will go well this week. Take care and get your strength back. Love Geno

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

  • Hi Greg,

    We are so very glad this round of chemo is over for you now too, and we pray that this week will be better than last. That is quite an antacid regimine you have there. The Peggy Special does sound quite yummy, but at least the Greggy Special won't clog your arteries.

    Big hugs and hang in there. Thinking of you.

    Love, The Roscoes

    By Blogger Kristin and Chris, at 7:23 PM  

  • Hi Mr. Greg -

    A Greggy Special huh??? Nana would love it!!! I believe I'll take the "Peggy" special over the "Greggy" special anyday but you sure did make me laugh!!!

    I hope you find relief this week!

    Love you loads, Tammy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 AM  

  • Hi Greg,

    Auntie Phyl back from a visit to my Dad in West Virginia and checking in on you.

    Your Peggy Special sounds really good. My Mom's name was Peggy also. She had a great sandwich special too.

    One toasted onion roll, hot mustard slathered on one side, on the other side a 1/4 inch thickness of mashed baked beans (sweet with molasses)topped with a thin slice of burmuda onion. It is delicious and the latest touch, crushed salt and vinegar potatoe chips...YUMMM. However, the Greggy Special might be needed by a few brought up on less adventuresome fare.

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 AM  

  • 11/20/07

    Hi Greg,
    Auntie Phyl checking in to say ... as usual, you are in my thoughts, heart and prayers.

    Have a blessed and joy filled Thanksgiving. If you see your Mom, give her a hug for me.

    Love and prayers,

    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM  

  • Hi Greg,
    Just Auntie Phyl stopping by to say again...on my mind, on my heart and in my prayers.

    Sure hope and pray that you will be up to an update on your blog soon. Miss not hearing from you.

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 PM  

  • Hi Greg,

    I finally found your blog after hunting for awhile. Pastor Young said you had one but had no idea how to find it.

    I'd say I'd enjoy reading it, but it isn't really light reading. I do enjoy your sense of humor though. And to hear about your struggles make mine feel light indeed.

    I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. And I'll add prayers for strength and peace and rest for you.

    My little family is happy and just grew recently. We had a new little girl in March named Charlotte Grace.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Leslie (Brooks)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home