Greg's Blog

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Round Two of Act 2 Chemo

Started Chemo again today. Just got back from a business trip to Minnesota, and of course overdid it.
It is impossible not to.
When I finally arrived in Charleston, I waited and let everyone else off the plane so as not to hold anybody up. Then I got my heavy carry on and lugged it across the tarmac. They have an agent that has to walk with the last person off the runway so you don’t go crazy and screw with the planes and stuff. I asked this person if there was an elevator we could take instead of the crazy steep stairs up to the terminal. “There is one, but it is too far to walk”. I guess she just thought I was being lazy. Little does she know that if I ask for something like that I am damn near death. So of course I just take it on the chin like always and start to climb the stairs. You have to be in a friggin wheel chair to get any respect, you know.
I might look young and spry, but there is a serious battle going on beneath the surface.
So I climb the stairs by lifting my suitcase with a huge grunt and setting it on the first stair, then bringing up one leg, then the other. Now lift the suitcase to the next stair and repeat the process. About halfway up I have to stop and rest for about 45 seconds.
Of course smart ass gate agent is on the stair right behind me the whole time following me and my slow procession up this nearly vertical rolling staircase, without offering any assistance mind you.
Maybe she is rethinking showing me where the elevator is, or more likely thinking I am faking this to make her life hard because this lazy bastard wanted to take the elevator and I would not let him.
Anyway I make it to the terminal finally and limp my way to baggage claim. Have to stop and go the bathroom along the way, but that is a whole other story.
As I arrive at baggage, all the happy people are getting their bags and proceeding out the doors to loved ones arms and warm vehicles to wisk them and their checked luggage home. But what about Mr. Lucky here…. Oh hell no, I wait, and no bag, I wait and still no bag. I realize now that I am alone and the only idiot standing in baggage claim watching the empty carousel go round and round.
Go to the counter, and of course they have lost my 1 piece of checked luggage, which is only about the 3rd piece of luggage I have checking in about 5 years. I have about a 20% chance of losing a bag when checking. That is my statistical history with the airlines. They cannot even tell me if the thing left Minnesota or not. What good does the baggage claim tag and scan bar do if they cant even tell you that.
So I have to stand there and fill out a form and file a claim and all that crap, while I am ready to pass out from complete exhaustion.
By the time I get home Cindy has to literally help me up the stairs into the house, I go straight to the bathtub to soak. Then I go straight to bed, this is about 6PM. I sleep all night Saturday and until about 2 PM on Sunday.
Monday morning up early to go to work for a few hours, and then off to Chemo which is where I sit now writing this entry.
It only took us 3 attempts to start the IV today as opposed to the 4 attempts last time. I feel like a human pin cushion.
That’s all the fun for now, not feeling real strong going into Chemo which is not good. You really need to be at your peak before they poison you again, but time marches on and I have to get it done.
Be good to each other.
Remember to spay and neuter your pets and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same.
Love,
Greg

6 Comments:

  • Dear Greg,

    Just Auntie Phyl checking in on you again.

    You are amazingly brave and obviously strong willed.
    You are a blessing.

    I want to ask you to read a wonderful article quoted in a blog written by the husband of a lady who's courage stole my heart, as your's does. Nan has cancer too. PLEASE check it out www.nansrecovery.blogspot.com Nov 6 entry and starts around the 3rd paragraph.

    As always, love and prayers

    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM  

  • Dear Greg: I am so sorry you had to go through all this. If you have to go again it would be my pleasure to go with you. I would be glad to help. I know Sindy has to work but I have nothing to do and we could eat pasncakes from Macs. While you are doing business I can sight see. My prayers are with you. I pray for strength for you always. Love Gene

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

  • Hi sweet Greg,
    Travel at it's best can be a nightmare.... but you certainly pulled the very worst out of this trip. If you need to go again alone, please take Geno up on his offer. I am glad you are home - hope you can rebuild from this ordeal and the chemo very soon.
    I love you dear Greg, Mom

    By Blogger Stella, at 12:19 PM  

  • damn g..........

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 PM  

  • Precious Greg,
    What a horrendous ordeal. Praying that this weeks treatment will be kinder to you.
    Lots of love!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 AM  

  • As much as I would like to say I don't understand where that lady at the airport is coming from I sadly admit I have been that uncarrying for others and gawked at them in their struggles. By reading this it has taught me that you never know what each person who crosses your path might be facing and being judgemental simply makes you look bad in the long run. Im incredibly sorry they weren't helpful at the airport. Next time you have to do this you really should ask them about the shuttles and the help that they offer. Dont be ashamed that is what they are there for. I would like to say that the lady probably would have helped if she would have known but not all people are willing to admit when they are wrong as I did. Dont worry one day it will come back to them. It saddens my heart to read that you are having such a struggle but your spirit and heart are so pure as they always have been if not more now. I pray that you will get some relief and love you so incredibly much. I love you Uncle Greg!! Dana

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home