Greg's Blog

Monday, July 09, 2007

Chemo Round 2 update

We only did 4 days of treatments this time as it was 4th of July and for some reason the infusion center closes on holidays. Never would have imagined that, but I guess you aren’t supposed to be sick on a holiday.
It was actually better for me this way I think since I had such a bad time with the first round. The Doctors were not at all upset that we would only do 4 days and see how my system took it.
The last time I had a big problem with my white blood cell count due to the treatment. Did not get a chance to write about it here, but long story short: 7 days after chemo had ended my white blood count was what they considered “critical”. This was not even tested until the 7 day mark, who knows what it actually got down to when I was REALLY feeling bad several days prior to that. They scared us pretty good with the test results and what needed to be done, or could happen.
Anyway we took a more conservative route this time and only did the 4 days, which I could not have done 5 if I wanted since the holiday was there. Also this Sunday they had me come back in at 7:30 in the morning to get a “Nuelesta” shot, which is a white cell booster.
Did not know that was even an option previously. Many of the things they do with me seem to be reactionary rather than proactive. Not real happy about that. It seems like we get just little pieces of new information each session. Nobody ever tells you the complete story. You just have to piece together what information you can. I feel like I need to write a pamphlet when this is over for new patients to really let them know the whole story and what to expect.
So as far as how it is going now. Had a really tough night last night, just brutal. (None of my postings would be complete without the Bitch session right) My stomach has been giving me hell, causing me to not be able to lay horizontal. I have to sit up to get relief, and hunch over. So then my back hurts. This prevents me from being able to get comfortable enough to get to sleep despite being completely exhausted, even with a sleeping pill. This is saying a lot. These pills are powerful! I do not take them regularly, but only when all other options have been exhausted.
Fatigue is by far the biggest problem right now, as we saw during the last session. But hopefully the white cell booster shot will help with this; at least it might make the problem last a whole week like last time. I do feel like the fatigue was worse last Monday than this one (comparing the sessions). For instance there would have been no way I could have done this posting last time.
Speaking of, I do not want to overdo it, so I am signing off. I just wanted to get some kind of progress report up, since I have not updated anyone since the treatments ended Friday.
Stay safe. Enjoy every day. Appreciate the blessings you have.
Love,
Greg

6 Comments:

  • Dear Greg: Sorry tp hear of the rough times. Been praying for relief for you. Hope the days ahead are better. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

    Love you Geno

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 PM  

  • Greg - What a miracle that you are able to make a post at this point in your treatment recovery!! While your days are still very difficult, even the smallest improvement is an answer to my prayers. I hope each day will find you better.
    Love you loads!!!

    By Blogger Tammy, at 7:32 PM  

  • Dear Ol Greg, Im terribly sorry to hear that your having a rough time this week however relieved that today was better than last weeks. I can tell in your writing that you feel alittle defeated this week have faith Uncle at least we know they are doing something to help. Im sorry its been a rough ride these past 2 weeks and I hope it will be worth it when this treatment is over. As far as the dr. have you tried writing down what questions you may have before going in? I understand how frustrating that is although in a completely different light have the same complaint about my dr. but I try to think of it as maybe they dont give you these things until its critical b/c the effects they may have on you or your body. Or maybe they are things that are on reserves and not readily available all the time. Try to look at the positive which I know is sooo hard right now. There is a always a method to their mayhem and although we love to play dr. the truth is thats why we go to them for the help b/c we need them!!! Thinking of you always!!! xoxo

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:39 PM  

  • Hey Buddy row! Glad to hear there was some relief this past week. Been thinking of you all day as I remembered last Monday was pretty tough. Try to get some rest and don't overdue (spoken as a true mom & soon to be Grandma!).
    Love ya, Smelly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 PM  

  • Dear Greg, yes, it is frustrating to seemingly wander in the dark as you learn something new each time about your situation. I don't think any doctor has all the answers and that is probably why they call it "The Practice of Medicine". With you especially, I think it is a learn-as-you-go thing, because as you know, nothing you have is textbook. You have probably taught the doctors things they never knew before. Hang in there, Bud - any improvement is a step in the right direction and we are all thankful for that. Love you, Mom

    By Blogger Stella, at 9:48 PM  

  • Dear Greg,
    You are a blessing...

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home