Greg's Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2007

This Was Not My Best Day

Wednesday I had a terrible sick day. I had 16 diarrhea trips to the bathroom, 7 of those were before 9 AM. I thought I might have food poisoning or something. How would I ever know if I had something like that or if I am just having a bad day? Who knows?
All I could do was sleep and shit all day. It got so bad that I called Cindy at work and asked her to come home. I think that has happened only 1 other time in the last several years.
I could not eat, nor did I have the energy to get to the kitchen to get food if I was hungry. All day I had just a boost shake, and about 10 pieces of pineapple.
Finally I got up the courage to check my temperature at about 6 PM. It was 102. Normally a half a degree is all it takes to really screw me up, and make me weak and dizzy to the point of losing motor skills. So a 102 is about hallucination time.
So not withstanding all that I was of course primed to hear the result of my blood test that would decide if I got into the drug study or not.
So the moment we have all been waiting for….
I scored a 1.3 on INR again. No change. Novartis says I cannot be tested again and has eliminated me from the study. That’s right after 8 months of waiting I am out cold. The dream is over. I guess now it is back to MUSC and some other type of treatment. Novartis would not make any kind of exception or concession to let us try again in a month despite the CT scan or anything. They have simply shut the door and told me to screw off.
So 8 months of waiting 4 trips to Duke, 1000’s of dollars in personal costs to try to get in the study all for nothing. Not only that, but now I have been letting the disease run unchecked all this time, because no other treatment could be used as it would conflict with the study.
As you can imagine I am not in the best of spirits over this.
I am still sick today. Temperature is down to 100.5 but that completely incapacitates me. I have not really dealt with the news myself yet. I have to get healthy first, and then I can get mad and depressed and so on. So I have kind of pushed it down for now, but I knew that all of you would be going nuts to know the results.
The emails started this morning. “Did you get the results yet?” Yes, but I don’t want to talk about it. So here it is. I am not ready to face the reality of the news yet.

9 Comments:

  • Sweet Greg, I share your shock and disappointment. I pray you will get your fever down and feel better right away. I love you, Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM  

  • Greg,
    I have no words to say that could convey my how screwed up I think the whole process has been and how you have been jerked around... hate that you are not feeling well too and hoping that your fever will go away.
    Love,
    Misty

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:49 PM  

  • Hi fella;
    If it was intended to be it would have been.Don't want to get preachy but..I ask God to do what is best for you and to start the healing.It's very hard to accept His answer, but the sun will shine tomorrow and probably be brighter than ever.The fever is coming down and soon MUSC will find a "wonder"drug just for you.You'll never know how much this father loves you,just imagine our Father's love.Remember,denial is not just the name of a river.We all go down that path and grow from the experience.If my comments upset you,just know that this is my true feelings.Dad Hill

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

  • Precious Greg: It has taken me hours to find the words to respond to this information and still, no words can express our shared devastation at this news. Just know that we love you so very much. Feel better soon!!!! We love you, Tammy and Randy and all the kids

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 AM  

  • Dear Greg:
    My heart aches for you with what you are going through. It always has and I want you to know that I am here for anything you need or want that I can help with. If you need a big shoulder to cry on, I got it. My prayers are with you along with my heart. See you soon.
    Kove Gene

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

  • Hey Uncle Greggy,
    Those guys at Novartis just have no remorse!! I hope you are feeling a little better and please now that I pray for your helath every day. I love you, Mandy Mc.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

  • *health.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

  • I know how much you were counting on this....you have so much drive and resolve in you, I'm not sure it can be measured...don't lose your focus just because this is not the path you will take...you have so many people behind you, but the biggest force is within you...I love you and I know how dissapointed you must be, but I know you can overcome!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 PM  

  • GREG,

    I KNOW YOU ARE SO FRUSTRATED! KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH AND KEEP FIGHTING. YOU HAVE GOT SO FAR WITH YOUR OWN STRENGTH. WE THINK OF YOU OFTEN AND JUST KNOW EVERYONE HERE IN DELAWARE ARE PULLING FOR YOUR HEALTH. WE LOVE YOU!
    LISA

    By Blogger lisa, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home