Greg's Blog

Friday, December 05, 2008

Post Thanksgiving

Hey guys,
Having another very tough week.
We hosted Thanksgiving for the whole Hill clan. I think we had 16 total for dinner, and then did bed and breakfast service for 8 Thanksgiving night.
For some reason Cindy wanted to undertake this event of her own free will. It was totally her idea and she did all the cooking on this side of it. I did the meatballs, and a tray of great various cheeses (gouda, edam, colby jack, sharp cheddar), crackers, pickles, olives, miscellaneous veggies, and so on with help from my niece Jamie, and her friend Jessie. They were a great help Thursday morning. After they did the appetizers for me they both did souz chef duty for Cindy the rest of the morning.
I was able to talk her into allowing some people to bring a dish or two.
Tondi did her famous pies, and a special goo pie for me which is a pecan pie without pecans. I don’t like pecans but love the goo in a pecan pie.
Wendi brought her resurrected green bean, potato, and dumpling recipe from my grandmother who never wrote down anything, so it took her over a year to get it right.
Tammy brought a cranberry and apple dish that was delicious.
Alyce brought a cranberry jello dessert.
Stella brought some festive green rice krispy treats.
Cindy did about 12 to 15 dishes in total I cant keep up, including two desserts of her own.
Jeff deep fried the Turkeys in the backyard. They turned out great. Very little leftovers even after doing 2, 12 lb Turkeys.
That was a great help as there was no way we had any room in the oven to do the turkeys, with Cindy’s avalanche of other dishes. The oven was full top to bottom all morning until meal time.
Anyway all the hub-bub and days of cleaning the house before hand really wore me out. I was pretty much useless come Thanksgiving day and was couch ridden most of the time, and then the next day as well.
We did a cookie decorating party on Friday for all who were able to stick around that long. It was great fun but I wanted to be more involved in it. I only joined in to do about 5 cookies, but all the ones everyone did, were really cool.
The next few days I was really exhausted and have to this day, 7 days later, still not really recovered.
Larry and Alyce, and Tondi stayed until Sunday morning. Then on Monday noon Cindy’s parents Larry (yes Cindy’s father’s name is Larry as well as my father) and Ellen arrived for their visit. Ellen only was able to stay one night, but Larry stayed until Thursday Dec. 4th.
I had a pretty crappy birthday on the first, turned 37 I think. Felt like a steaming pile of crap physically. Got some nice gifts from the family, but nada from my loving wife. It is ok, all I want is to spend time with her and feel good. There is nothing she could give me that would compare to 5 healthy happy mins of time together. But you cannot buy that or put it in wrapping paper.
The last two days have been really bad, I have been unable to get off the couch for more than a few mins at a time, and then with quite a dose of pain while I am up.
Larry Stanton, Cindy’s Larry, was here to help me at least, and kept me in cold drinks, and snacks. My apatite has been non-existent for several days now. I ate 4 inches of a sub today for lunch and that was the biggest meal I have had since Thanksgiving.
Mostly the thought of food has been making me nauseous again lately. Despite my taking a medication specifically to stimulate eating. But no such luck. Also my stomach has been retaining an unusually large percentage of fluid again this week. We have already done 8 liters and I am about to pop now, and I am counting the moments until Friday’s drain. Will probably have to spend the night sitting upright, which means no good sleep if there is any at all.
None of these symptoms should be exhibiting themselves at this time. It has been 7 weeks since the last Chemo treatment and I should be running track and field events now. But I feel about the weakest I have felt in months. My hands shake almost constantly from any effort whatsoever. I have to really take my time standing up and then it is incredibly shaky. Seems like an upcoming fall is inevitable.
I have my company’s Christmas party on Saturday night and have to give a half hour speech and give out about 8 awards. But that may turn out to be a 5 mins speech. After that I will finally get a day off, with no visitors, and no work, and not even a visit to MUSC, this coming Sunday.
We had a great visit with everyone who came and love spending time with them, but it is very tiring to even just have people in the house at all.
But that is what I would want to expend my energy on more than anything else, is spending time with my family. That is what we did, so I am happy.
Then Chemo starts on Monday morning, which will put me on my ass for the next two weeks. I am really concerned about my apatite and very low weight and weakness at this point going into a Chemo session. All it is going to do is dose me with poison and make me even weaker and sicker. Do not know if I can stand that. But what else can I do, if I let the tumors go without chemo they spread and grow like wildfire.
But man, my legs look like something from Auschwitz historical photos. No kidding. They have the big bulging kneecap and just skin covering bone above and below the knee. I can almost wrap my hand around my leg above the knee and touch the thumb and middle fingers together. It looks like the legs could not possibly support the weight of my body.
My dad, Larry is coming down to help me through the chemo week on Monday night and will take me to the rest of the weeks sessions.
We will see what the future brings, I guess. Pretty apprehensive about this upcoming session. If I get any weaker I guess I will be completely dependant on outside help to do literally everything. Good thing Dad is coming. I am sure I will need his assistance.
The week after Chemo is just as bad or worse as the system gets saturated and absorbs all the poison. Oh, and then the other great surprise of what is going to be this months new symptom. Could be anything as you well know by now.
So if you do not hear from me in personal communication for the next while, that is what is up. I am sure I will not feel like writing anything. I really don’t want to write now, but felt like the blog was well overdue for another update. And all of you are so kind to keep checking in on my blog page. I hate to not update it, and you go away without any new information.
Please wish me luck and give me a prayer, considering what storm is heading my way.
Love to all,
Yours nervously, Greg

15 Comments:

  • My dear Greg,this life is not for the faint of heart. You are certainly going through the hardest time of your life. You handle it better than most anyone could. Pray for wisdom to make the best choices in your own behalf. I am so glad your dad will be with you to help you this week. You need each other.
    I love you dearly, Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • Precious Greg,
    You and Cindy will never ever know the gratitude I feel for your incredible effort and time you afforded me during Thanksgiving. Being with you both, as well as our extended family, was the only thing I wanted out of the entire holiday. It was so obvious that you both over extended yourselves, but please know that it was greatly appreciated. I would loved just being with with you. All the other stuff was icing on the cake.
    You know you have my constant love, thoughts and prayers.
    I love you to the max!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • Hey Buddy. Thank you for taking time to bring everyone up to speed, even though it exhausts you. Our prayers are with you and Cindy every single day, but we'll throw up some extra requests to help get you through another couple of tough weeks. I love you with all my heart and think of you constantly. Take care my sweet brother. Love you, Michelle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:23 PM  

  • It sounds like you all had a wonderful time Greg ---- we want you to know that the International Prayer Ministry has not stopped praying for you EVER -- all around the world people are keeping you in prayer --- you are our hero ---
    God bless you,
    Alice Annandale

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

  • Dear Greg, I saw a saying tonight- something to the effect of " God did not promise to take away our storms, but to teach us to dance in the rain". I can see you dancing in the rain by the wit on your blog. We are dancing with you in our thoughts and our prayers and one day we will all dance together with no pain whatsoever!

    Much love to all your family!
    Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 AM  

  • Hi Greg,
    Yes my dear you did turn 37. I know this because I will also turn 37 on the 10th of this month. You are such an incredible person to have to go through this day after day. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are too young of a person to feel the way you do. I wish you and Cindy the best for the remainder of the year and to look forward to the new year. You are very fortunate to have such a tight-knit family to help you. Happy Holidays and God Bless,
    Tricia (Hill)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

  • My sister directed me to your blog. Compared to you, I have no problems. Here's offering up prayer that God will have it in His will to heal you. You deserve more than five minutes of feeling good.

    By Blogger Tommie, at 9:18 PM  

  • Hi Greg,
    The "old lady" checking in on you again.

    What a fabulous Thanksgiving you all had. It sounds like Thanksgivings of old at the Lytle household in Michigan. Every inch of floor space was occupied and I do believe that the walls had a tendency to bulge outward. I miss those times and the entire clan very much! 6 children, 15 grandchildren and 2 great grandsons now...

    Yet, our Thanksgiving was a blessing too. We shared it with a couple of our neighbors (widowers).

    You are prayed for almost every day...I trust and believe that our God has you in His hands...hang on to Him!

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • Greg, if we were there, we would give you a HUGE hug and a birthday present of being cancer-free. Our thoughts, prayers, and hearts are with you every day...a day does not go by when we do not think of you and hope that you are having a better day than yesterday.

    Much Love and friendship,
    Chris and Kristin

    By Blogger Kristin and Chris, at 12:28 PM  

  • Hi Greg,
    The "old lady" checking in on you again.

    Christmas is coming...time with friends and family; charished moments.

    Lots of prep work, but lots of smiles.

    Are you still wrapping Christmas presents? I take the easy way out. Our children and grandchildren all live a minimum of 600 miles from us, so we send money.

    This year I am giving my friends a gift of giving. I am giving money in their names to a charity. How many of us really need another "something".

    May your Christmas be filled with the joyful blessings of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ...love, faith, trust, comfort and a peace filled heart.

    MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU TWO!

    Love and prayers,
    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 AM  

  • Hi Greg,
    The "old lady" back to say, sure hope you had a Christ-filled, joyful Christmas Day.

    A young couple from church kindly invited Ron and I to their home for Christmas breakfast. It was lovely being with them and their other family and friends.

    Then we returned home and cooked a dinner for ourselves and a single ladyfriend who came and joined us. A Christ-filled, joyful day for us.

    Now I am getting beds ready for the next wave...my nephew and his wife and baby are coming tomorrow and staying until Tuesday. Love it, love it.

    You are thought of, loved and prayed for. In my heart, on my mind.

    Love and prayers,

    Auntie Phyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • Hi Greg,
    Auntie Phyl stopping by to check on you.

    On my mind, in my heart and prayers.

    Love and prayers,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 AM  

  • Greg,
    It's now Jan 9th-- now that it's winding down from Christmas, I want to tell you that it was great to seeyou just after Thanksgiving. Now with the last complications, i want to just encourage you to kind of forget all the feelings you have that you "owe" everybody a report, or a show of strength. We know that you are strong-so strong that it is getting in the way of you helping yourself to rest and stay strong. Rest as much as you need to. Take care to get your nutrition back in order and your fluid levels too. Get that positive, motivated mentality back. Focus. But most important of all, get yourself and all of your energy wrapped aroung PEACE and PEACEFULLNESS. You have all the qualities anyone would be proud of and so many people love you. Waht else is important? Don't worry about proving anything other than that. Love yourself, Cindy, your family,your friends, and your dogs. Keep that love going all day, every day. Also know that you are loved back by us, your family and friends, and by Cindy, even by your dogs. But god loves you more than all of that combined. There may or may not be a cure coming. But live day to day in peace and forget worrying about tomorrow.
    It's late again tonight. I'll write again next time. We love you.
    Mom and Dad in Delaware

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM  

  • Wow you are so strong. My father died on 05 of lung cancer and I watched him feel tired and weak all the time. But you have so much life ahead of you. My father said that one minute of life was worth an eternity. Your strenght is helping others and your pain is healing your soul. I am sorry that this terrible desease has affected you. I can not helpt but to say that if we look for something other than a weapon of mass destruction we could find some of these cures! With love, a new friend, Yolanda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 PM  

  • To all the faithful readers of our dear Gregs blog:
    Gregs suffering ended Tuesday February 3rd 2009.It's been just over a week now and we all are trying to accept the fact that Greg is in a much better place,no more suffering nor pain.Cindys dad,Larry Stanton is trying to figure out how to download this autobiography and perhaps it can be published for future cancer patients to draw the needed strength to fight this insidious disease.Meanwhile continue to keep Gregs memory and dear Cindy in your prayers.If you wish to contact me;llhill_1086@yahoo.com
    blessings on you all;
    Dad Hill

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home